While pregnancy is a magical and exciting time, it is always important to remember to be as healthy and responsible as possible. Planning and managing a pregnancy should begin with a thorough exam by a medical professional. An obstetrician can get you started on a pregnancy plan that will be of most benefit to you and your unborn child.
Here are some helpful tips to get you started:
- Eat foods rich in iron, calcium and protein. Prenatal supplements are also a good decision, but you should consult an obstetrician before taking any supplement.
- Eating foods high in fiber and drinking plenty of water will help curb constipation.
- Avoid eating raw foods, fish with mercury (even trace amounts), and soft cheeses.
- Avoid smoking, drinking and using illegal drugs.
- Avoid, as much as possible, coming into direct contact with herbicides, pesticides, paint and cleaning solutions, as they may have chemical compounds which may be harmful.